SW Warrens Way
Portland, Oregon 97221
Office: (503) 274-0017
Fax: (503) 226-6200
• Stanford University and Reed College Undergrad
• BA, University of Oregon Law School
• LlB, University of Oregon Law School
• Justice, Oregon Supreme Court
• Judge, Oregon Court of Appeals
Litigation Experience (Private Practice)
• As a commercial litigator with Ball Janik LLP, Portland OR, advised clients regarding business problems concerning contracts, owner disputes, employment, real estate, business torts, governmental and most every other kind of business dispute.
• Tried dozens of such disputes in Oregon circuit courts throughout the state and on appeal, and also in the US District Court and the Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
• Won a $220 million class action judgment, then Oregon's largest judgment ever.
Litigation Experience (Government Practice)
• Trial Attorney, US Department of Justice, Robert Kennedy's Organized Crime Section and Civil Rights Division, Washington DC. Obtained the first civil rights indictments ever against public officials and Ku Klux Klan members for murder in the Mississippi Burning case.
• Oregon's first Solicitor General, Oregon Department of Justice.
• Argued more cases in the Oregon Supreme Court than any lawyer in its history and twice in the US Supreme Court.
• Arbitrated about 80 business cases involving business valuation, employment, real estate, contract, trade practices and other business disputes.
• As a founding arbitrator of Toyota Motor Sales USA's in-house arbitration program, arbitrated about 50 dealer-to-dealer allocation disputes.
• Commercial Neutral Panel, American Arbitration Association. Also serves Arbitration Services of Portland.
• Listed in The Best Lawyers in America (Arbitration)
• Over 300 diverse business mediations since leaving the bench. Representative samples include: 10 eminent domain cases for mass transit expansion (real estate valuation and adjustments), inter-owner condominium disputes, trademark infringement, attorney malpractice, minority oppression and dozens of contract disputes.
• Listed in The Best Lawyers in America (Mediation)
• CLEs on mediation.
• Lectures at all three Oregon law schools.
• Faculty, Appellate Judges Seminars, NYU Law School.